Monday, March 25, 2013

Faith, The Lakers and A Plate of Wings

Blog Post Circa April 21, 2008
 
As some of you may know I've been going through some health problems lately. So I seeked out a holistic doctor to help me diagnose my mysterious illness. As I walked into the office I was in horrible spirits. Not because of my health problems mind you. But because when I tried to record the first Laker playoff game on TIVO, the east coast ABC feed was showing no such game.

I went through the weird procedures that holistic Docotor's do to read one's body. All I wanted was for him to give me some herbs and tell me that all of my fatigue, hives, and severe allergic reactions would be over with. But all I got was, "your body's talking to me and it's not good. I'll call you in a couple of days with a diagnoses once I've reviewed your chart".

As I left the office, and looked at my haggard sleep deprived reflection of myself in the subway window, I had never longed to be back home in LA more. I wanted to be watching the Laker Game with my family, drinking a beer and laughing with friends. I thought of all the years at Chris Sendrey's house with Vic, Dave, John and all my boys, Chick Hearn's animated play by play lilting in the background and the feeling of the sun on my skin as we celebrated another Laker victory with a post-game swim in the pool.

"Those days are gone" I thought dejectedly. But something in me, some voice deep inside said, " Jen, get on the NRW and go to Time Square". At this point, all I wanted was to maybe see if I could find the game on in some sports bar where I could be anonymous. Where I could watch my team in peace, eat a plate of wings and not care if someone saw me with bar-b-que sauce all over my face. I looked and felt like shit. And I was not looking for a social experience. Just some wings, a beer or two, and, god willing, a victory.

When I got off the subway immediately in front of me I saw The ESPN Zone bar. The first thing I thought was, "Overpriced beer and annoying tourists". But if anybody would have the game on they would. I walked in, and, sure enough, they had the game on. But not only did they have the game on, it was on a big screen with AUDIO!....AUDIO!!! There were people with Laker Jersey's on and looks of wonder on their faces. The Lakers were up at half time. I needed a seat.

There was no seat at the bar so I asked if I could get a table at the restaurant. What happened next was truly a dream come true. I was led to the very first row of tables right in front of the big screens and just when I was content having a nice view I realized where I as sitting. Everything stopped. The waitress though I was crazy when I said " SWEET!" out loud; But I didn't care. Because right in front of me was my very own Barca-lounger. There was a beer cozy on the right, a tray right in front for food and, get this, it reclined!!!!

With a belly full of beer and a face covered in barbeque sauce, I happily ate my wings and watched my beloved Lakers wipe with the floor with the Denver Nuggets. And in the midst of all the cheering I said a little thank you prayer to God. Because I felt this was her way of telling me that everything was going to be okay.

Sometimes bad things happen in life but before you know it your sitting in a recliner with your very own big screen TV showing the Laker game in front of you as you stuff your face with wings. And that's when everything becomes clear and the saying, "everything happens for a reason" becomes a truth and not just some fairytale people shove up your ass to make you feel better.

I got the message God loud and clear! Go Lakers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment