Friday, January 27, 2012

Check Check 1,2,3. Is This Thing On?

I'm a writer. So it's kind of inane that I haven't created a blog yet. And when I thought about what I should write about, I figured it better be something that I'm an expert in so I can impart some form of wisdom onto my dear readers. Hmmmm. Expert. What am I an expert at?

Creating playlists on Itunes? - Perhaps.

Attracting unavailable men? - Getting closer.

Being a single woman in her late thirties? - Yes that's it! I think I got it!!

I have loved. I have lost. I have paid my rent and bills all by myself for most of my adult life. I have been the subject of my life, not the object to someone else's. Yes, ladies and gents, this blog is going to be about modern feminism. I do hope to be in an equal partnership with a man one day, but if there is anything that can come out of my years of feeling condescended to because I did not have a man to cling to, it is this blog. See what I did there? Turning lemons into lemonade.

Simone de Beauvoir, one of the OG writers on this subject, has said,"the subject is irritating, especially to women; and it is not new. Enough ink has been spilled in the quarreling over feminism, now practically over, and perhaps, we should say no more about it." ( Beauvoir, xx) She's right. The word feminism is attached to so many negative connotations, I don't even like to mention it anymore. But talking about women and gender issues is vital. If for no other reason than when Beauvior was writing, women couldn't even vote. Yet today - over sixty years after Ms. Beauvior wrote her seminal work entitled, "The Second Sex", women are still treated as property, still feel less than without a boyfriend or husband, still do not have equal pay, and still remain in abusive relationships.

We've come very far ladies. But we're not done yet. If you don't believe me I have two words for you:

Kim Kardashian. ( Becoming a millionaire wasn't fairytale enough. Ya HAD to go and do the over the top wedding?)

No? Still not convinced? How bout' these two words?

Demi Moore ( Your in your late forties and still smokin' hot! Who cares if that douchebag left you?)

This blog celebrates the fact that we are currently moving past feminist and anti-feminist ideals. Gone are the days when we could bash men because we felt oppressed by them. The quest for true liberty is not that black and white anymore. We've got the money, we've got some power. Now what?

The intent of this blog is to uncover how we are still tethered to roots of our past oppressions regardless of how far we have come. Unlike slavery or the holocaust, which give Black and Jewish oppression a clear demarcation in time, "women's dependency on men is not the result of a historical event or social change. It was not something that occurred." (Beauvior, xxi) This is one reason why we are a blinded by the invisible chains that keep us dependent on men/attention whores/competitive against our fellow sisters etc. etc. etc.

This blog is about investigating, discussing and taking responsibility for how we are a party of the shit deal we were handed many many eons ago.

I'm guilty of this. Your guilty of it. So let's talk about it shall we?

For anybody that would like to join, collaborate, or post something on here, please let me know. I'd be happy to share this space with you. And of course, I look forward to your comments and questions as they will fuel more fruitful discussions as opposed to me blathering on and on with my California-sized ego.

Agree with me. Disagree with me. But let's talk it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment